Monday, September 17, 2012

The Harbor Happy Hour Project: 8th St. Ale House NEW and IMPROVED Happy Hour!

Today's Happy Hour factoid: Were you aware that happy hour has been illegal in the Republic of Ireland since 2003 under the Intoxicating Liquor Act? Ah, the Irish....they certainly love their drink!

Speaking of Ireland, today's Happy Hour locale has a bit of the ol' country vibe, most likely due to the fact that it's run by the same folks that operate Galway Bay, an excellent Irish pub out in Ocean Shores. It's got that cozy, welcoming, community-living-room-slash-pub vibe that I adore. We go there a LOT. And, when I heard that they re-worked their Happy Hour menu, I came down right away to check it out.


The most notable changes are the addition of pizza to the food selection, and wine is added at a very reasonable $3 per glass. They also offer ALL micros at $3 a pint, instead of just their house brew on the old menu. I decided to try the pizza, which is offered with a red or white sauce, and your choice of various toppings. Our waitress informed me that the happy hour pizza is a half-portion of the regular menu size (which runs ~$15 or so, making this a pretty awesome deal).



 I also had a glass of the house red wine....and, frankly, I'm not a wine snob in the least, so I can't even tell you what type it was, or the brand or anything. I just like wine that tastes good. My thin-crust pizza was delicious and just the right amount of food for a light dinner. Add a $2 salad from the menu and you've got yourself a pretty filling dinner. Our friend Nathan had the Chicken Strips & Fries, and claims that this place has the best on the harbor. Pretty awesome for 5 bones.


 (Nathan claims these chicken strips are the best, and possibly the cheapest, around!)

Overall, I give the 8th St. Ale House Happy Hour a very esteemed score of 10 out of 10 for several reasons: the wide selection of options, the prices (my pizza and glass of wine was just $8 plus tax and tip), the "just-right" atmosphere, and the fact that I can ride my bike there within a couple of minutes. Do yourself a big ol' favor and check them out at 207 8th Street in Hoquiam. I'll probably see you there!

No comments: