Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Harbor Happy Hour Project: Bridge's Restaurant

Did you know that according to Wikipedia,  one possible origin of the term "Happy Hour" is from the Navy? In the 1920s, "Happy Hour" was slang for a scheduled entertainment period on board a ship during which boxing and wrestling bouts took place; this was a valuable opportunity for sailors to relieve the stress accumulated during the long periods at sea.

I, for one, am glad to see that happy hour has evolved into throwing back drinks rather than throwing fists. And for me, happy hour has proven to be a great way to stretch my budget while still getting to try out new pubs and restaurants, and enjoy some time with friends before heading home for dinner. The only problem is that no one, to my knowledge, has compiled a list of happy hours in the Grays Harbor area, and they seem to go widely unadvertised. So, I have taken it upon myself to create the Harbor Happy Hour project, and thoroughly research all of the happy hours in town. What I difficult life I lead!

Up first is Bridges Restaurant in Aberdeen. I heard of their happy hour through word-of-mouth, because they do not seem to advertise it AT ALL, or even have a website/Facebook/Twitter. They're old school like that. And that old-school-ness extends right into their bar, which has a private library sort of feel, with lots of dark wood and comfy upholstered chairs. The clientele seems to lean white-collar...your lawyer or your dentist is probably here kicking back with a $2 well drink.

Without further ado, here is their happy hour menu:


Drink specials consisted of $2 well drinks, and beer specials ONLY on Coors or Bud. Yep, no microbrew specials. Boo Hiss. So, I drowned my sorrows in a plate of Fried Zucchini ($3.99) which was OK, but would have been better with a side of marinara instead of that ubiquitous gloppy ranch that seems to accompany so many fried food dishes. Here in 'MURICA we've got to dip our fat-fried foods in MORE fat. Yay us.



I'll give the Bridges Happy Hour a 5 on my super-special-scientific-scale of 1 to 10. There is a decent selection of food, although nothing really creative and mostly typical pub grub, but they lost it for me on the drinks. Please, Bridges, offer some micro specials for those of us who prefer something with actual flavor.

(Chloe, Stefanie, Britta, and Emily enjoy a few rounds during Bridge's Happy Hour)


So, while Bridge's may not be the best happy hour for me, it's still worth a try, especially if you prefer a more upscale environment instead of a rowdy pub. You can find Bridge's at 112 North G Street in Aberdeen.
 



No comments: