Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Harbor Happy Hour Project: Half Moon Bay Bar & Grill

A few more interesting facts about happy hour: Did you know that it is actually banned in Massachusetts and Utah? Utah doesn't surprise me, but Massachusetts? Strange. On the other hand, Kansas recently repealed their statewide ban on happy hours, and Pennsylvania extended the period of time for happy hour from two hours to four hours. I know where I'd rather move!

For the second entry in my Harbor Happy Hour project, I am reviewing Half Moon Bay Bar & Grill in Westport. I couldn't find any reference to their happy hour, besides them stating on Facebook that they offer it from 3-6 PM daily. Upon arriving there, I noticed that each day offers different food specials. So, you might want to check ahead of time to see if there is a certain day that appeals to you. For instance, my husband was not interested in either item available on the day we went (Fish Tacos & Buffalo Wings), and had to settle on a basket of fries from the regular menu.



I do appreciate the creativity of some of their specials, and I'll definitely be coming back for the Fried Tofu and the Taro Chip Basket. Try finding either one of those in a bar around here! But, their strong point in my opinion was their beer selection. They offer nine beers on tap, and only one tap was wasted on a lousy domestic. So, for $3, you can choose a nice cold pint of Kona, Manny's, or Elysian....or support your local brewer and kick back with a tasty brew from our own Westport Brewing Company...their porter and cream ale were available on tap. Props to Half Moon Bay for carrying these! And at 3 bucks a pop, it's cheaper than going to WB's tasting room.

I'm going to give Half Moon Bay an 9 out of 10 on my happy hour scale. Their only weak point, in my opinion, is that there are only two food specials per day, and you may or may not like what's offered on the day you visit. But I'm loving their micro specials, and the fact that happy hour is held EVERY DAY, not just Monday-Friday. Oh, and there's that amazing outdoor patio with a view of Westport's lively marina....a perfect place to spend a sunny afternoon.

You can find Half Moon Bay at 421 Neddie Rose Drive in Westport, and check out their Facebook page here.

No comments: